martes, 26 de julio de 2011

the simple life

Committing to writing more has been a very good thing for me. No computer means back to basics: hand-writing. I like writing, I miss writing. Technology is a wonderful thing, but it has made me lazy. I still have a Kindle, and I love my iPod, but I like that I don't have a laptop or a phone. I like that I don't depend on either of those. It also feeds my slightly anti-social tendencies.

I like living a simple life. I like having that feeling of being able to pick up and go in a matter of hours. My room has absolutely no furniture. It's a 3mx4m space where I lay my head down after a long day at work. I don't have a bed; partly because I can't be bothered to get one, and partly because I don't feel I need one. I have two good blankets and a sleeping bag, and that is enough for a good night's sleep. My traveling zoo hangs out right next to me, and my world map is on the floor at my feet. It should be on the wall next to my climbing gear, but the tape I bought won't stick...so that's that. My scarves are hanging on the window, and my necklaces are on the door. Most of my clothes are in the closet, and the rest are on the floor.

I know I have a unique outlook on life, and I was pleasantly reminded of this while talking to a co-worker last week. He was looking into buying a new televison; partly because he wanted one, and partly because he felt he needed something large and expensive. "I'm almost thirty and have nothing to show for it" were his exact words. I smiled. We really are all very different. Whereas I pride myself in having no posessions, he saw it as a negative thing. Now, I try not to judge...to each his own, right? I really believe that. It isn't about fitting into someone elses idea of happiness, it's about doing what you think is right for you. That little conversation reminded me of how happy I am with the decisions I've made, and how much I like the person I've become.

3 comentarios:

  1. The only possession you should get is a tiny camera so you can post pictures to your blog... Missing you....

    ResponderEliminar
  2. A king once fell ill. "I will give half my kingdom to the man who can cure me," he said.
    All his wise men gathered together to decide how the king could be cured. But no one knew. Only one of the wise men said what he thought would cure the king.

    "If you can find a happy man, take his shirt, put it on the king--and the king will be cured." The king sent his emissaries to search for a happy man. they traveled far and wide throughout his whole kingdom, but they could not find a happy man. There was no one who was completely satisfied: if a man was rich he was ailing; if he was healthy he was poor; if he was rich and healthy he had a bad wife; or if he had children they were bad--everyone had something to complain of.

    Finally late one night, the king's son was passing by a poor little hut and he heard someone say: "Now, God be praised, I have finished my work, I have eaten my fill, and I can lie down and sleep! What more could I want?"

    The king's son rejoiced and gave orders that the man's shirt be taken and carried to the king, and that the man be given as much money as he wanted.

    The emissaries went in to take off the man's shirt, but the happy man was so poor that he had no shirt.

    I love you my daughter. Happiness is, indeed, inside our cardboard box...

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Happy the man that doesn't have a shirt

    ResponderEliminar