martes, 8 de febrero de 2011

pigs in the sky

I guess I'm really going through with this.

I bought my one-way ticket to Auckland for next week. Even though I leave on the 15th, I won't arrive until the 17th - that's how far my dart is sending me...two days away. I go from Seattle to Los Angeles, then I have a short layover in Fiji before arriving in Kiwiland. Is it wrong that I secretly wish for something minor to be missing from the plane at boarding so I can stay in Fiji for a couple of days? It just looks so pretty. Maybe my dart will land there next.

I've told a couple of people about my decision. Most will probably find out from them, others from this blog, and others just won't have any idea and will ask me in the next email: "so where in the world are you now?"

I always get mixed reactions when I make announcements like this. Grandma No.1 was less than thrilled with the idea. She's just wondering about when I'll finally drop this traveling nonsense, settle down and give her some great grandkids. Grandma No.2 was her usual self, and said her usual words: "If this is what you want to do, then this is what you ought to do." Mom is her lovely, supportive self, and just wants me to leave already so she can come visit. Bro No.1 thinks I'm slightly random, and I guess that goes for Bro No.2 as well. Some friends think I'm crazy, some think I'm cool, and I guess the rest have given up on understanding my ways and say things like "sweet"...which has the same tone as the "sure they can" you'd tell a crazy person if they approached you and told you that, in fact, pigs actually can fly.

Maybe traveling is nonsense, and maybe eventually I'll have a picket fence. I know I'm random and crazy and cool and I have no interest in understanding my own ways. Maybe the crazy person has got it right, and we're just too close minded to see the pigs in the sky. Whatever. This is just what I do. I do what I want. I'm super lucky, I have this brain that tells me I can do whatever I want to do. Maybe it's how I was raised, maybe my brain is just extra awesome, who knows. But to all that said: "you can't just throw a dart and go wherever!" Guess what?: I CAN!

Peace out.

2 comentarios:

  1. If you believe you can't, then you can't. If you believe you can, then you can. Of course YOU CAN.

    ResponderEliminar